Photo Courtesy of Earnest Archives and Library
Happy New Year! We would like to extend our wishes of happiness, health, and prosperity to our readers. The folks here at Passed Time
This Lied (Song) is part of a larger broadside--a sheet of paper printed on one side only. Occasionally, only a few examples of a broadside specimen survived. As they were often printed to announce a passing event, broadsides were thrown away once the affair was complete. This New Year Song is the only known survivor of this particular edition. It is a long, narrow sheet with another lied printed below. The original sheet was larger still--at least double in size. The other half probably showed the same two lieds and the printer cut the sheets in half, or even quarters, to sell.
As for the the printer who created the broadside? At first blush, I would begin looking in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. The putto (cherub) matches elements used by printers in Chambersburg beginning circa 1815, about the time this piece was printed. The press of Pennsylvania German Friedrich Wilhelm Schöpflin (1777-1825) is a likely candidate for producing the Neu Jahrs Lied. The European-born printer arrived on American shores in 1807 and moved to Chambersburg in 1813.1 His wife Anna, continued the business after William's death in 1825 with the aid of Heinrich Ruby, a nephew who apprenticed with the Schöpflins. W ithout an imprint, this attribution is only an educated, and temporary, guess. Admittedly, more research needs to be done before anyone can make a conclusive attribution. Happy New Year! 202 Years Ago (or thereabouts), Pat
The lied is one of Dietrich Buxtehude's (c. 1637/1639-9 May 1707) compositions (BuxWV13). An English translation provided to Choral Wiki (link below) by Paul R. Marchesano reads,
The newborn little child,
the dearly beloved little Jesus
brings again a new year
to his chosen Christian flock.
Thus the angels rejoice
who like to be around and with us
and singing freely in the heavens
that God is reconciled with us.
Since God is reconciled and our friend,
what can the wicked Foe do to us?
Despite the Devil, the world, and hell's portals,
Lord Jesus, you are our refuge.
You bring us a true jubilee year.
Why should we always mourn?
Look alive!—it's time now for singing:
Lord Jesus, you turn away all suffering.
1. Stopp, Klaus. The Printed Birth and Baptismal Certificates of the German Americans. Russell D. Earnest Associates. Volume II, page 34.
Das Neugebohrne Kindeleinperformed by Coro Dell'Universitá di Pisa on 15 December 2011. You Tube video, well worth a listen.
Lyrics with some differences and English translation, thereof Bach Cantatas Website
People in this conversation
Passed Time Login
Private Message Notifier
You are not logged in.
A Danish war museum says it found German U-boat U-3523 embedded on the sea floor, quashing years of speculation.
York County Historical Society
The Paperback of the The Face of a Monster: America's Frankenstein by Patricia Earnest Suter at Barnes & Noble. FREE Shipping on $25 or more!
The remains of the USS Indianapolis, which delivered parts of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, and was later sunk by a Japanese submarine, have been found.
Andrew Kamal is an app developer, programmer, and inventor who loves writing about historical technology and old games. He can be found in his free time hugging pugs and debating people about which pizza topics are better.
Two medieval mummies from a mystery Arctic civilization have been discovered at the edge of Siberia. The remains of an adult and baby were found in the Zelenyy Yar necropolis, an archaeological complex first discovered in 1997, and were covered in copper-with the adult having been plated from head to
Search This Site
The family bible is a family's connection to the past and future. It connects an entire family across generations to their history, to their faith and provides an understanding of who their ancestors were. Family bibles often contain locks of hair, photographs, newspaper articles in addition to names, dates of birth, death and marriages.
FREEDOM: "to secure the Blessings of Liberty" explores the stories of Lancastrians who sought, fought for, lived in, and were denied freedom over the course of 300 years. They are stories of hope, joy, struggle, and survival from Penn's Holy Experiment through the 21st century.
April 2017 Story Ideas
Fastnacht Day: February 28 at
York County History Center
Fastnacht Day will be celebrated at the York County History Center’s Historical Society Museum on Tuesday, February 28, 2017, from 9:30 a.m. – noon. The Friends of the History Center will serve fastnachts, coffee, tea and hot chocolate at the Museum, located at 250 E. Market Street, York.
This free event is held each year as the Friends’ “thank you” to the community for their support throughout the year. Fastnacht Day originated with Pennsylvania Germans on Shrove Tuesday, when all fat had to be removed from the home before Lent.
The Friends hold fundraising events all year to benefit the programs and exhibits of the History Center.
York, Pa., really is the center of the universe, especially when you consider its place in historical events. Local historian June Lloyd looks at how things have converged on our hometown, past and present.
- Upcoming LancasterHistory.org Events August 29 - September 21, 2016
- New Exhibition FREEDOM: "to secure the Blessings of Liberty" Opens September 24 & 25
- Upcoming Colloquium explores the frontier of early Pennsylvania
- Celebrate A Lancaster Victorian Christmas!
- A Salute to Pearl Harbor
- December 2016 Story Ideas
- Lancaster Legend Who Immortalized Christmas Music is the Focus of Free Colloquium
- LancasterHistory.org Honors National Black History Month With Program Set
- Free Screening of Harriet Tubman Film Celebrates Black History Month
- The Friends of the Tanger Arboretum Annual Dinner
- April 2017 Story Ideas from LancasterHistory.org
- April Living History: Precocious, Passionate, & Plodding Buchanan
- 100 Years After US Entry Into World War I, Motivations Revisited
- The Historian May 31, 2017
- The Historian July 26, 2017
Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society | Preserving the culture of Mennonite-related faith communities in Lancaster County
Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society has added a new field trip to the 2016 schedule of events. Get a new view of historic sights in Lancaster and Lebanon with the upcoming field trip, "The Trail of Greenywalt's Boys."
Draws A Crowd
- Printed & Manuscript Americana
- Art & Storytelling: Photographs & Photobooks
- Rare and Important Travel Posters
- Art & Storytelling: Photographs & Photobooks Exhibition Opens Thursday, October 20
- Just in from Swann Auction Galleries..a Record Setting Auction
- Swann Auction: Illustration Art Draws A Crowd
- Swann Auction: Autographs
Half-century of history at Dover AFB
Links to External Sources
- Ultimate Fun with Kolkata Escorts Girls Friday, 02 August 2019
- Filipino Dentists for the smiles that welcomes you to smile at the time of exit Monday, 25 February 2019
- About Fred Mohammed-Leader in Construction Companies Tuesday, 12 February 2019
- ABOUT SACRED HEART DENTAL CLINIC PHILIPPINES Thursday, 24 January 2019
- WELCOME TO KNOWIT ERP Wednesday, 09 January 2019
- Half Baked Swag at Northern Nights Music Festival Friday, 21 December 2018
- Chairs for Your Modern Lifestyle Monday, 13 August 2018
- Buy Instagram followers and Take your Brand on Top Level Thursday, 08 February 2018
- best ironing board Tuesday, 07 November 2017
- Some History of the Indian National Flag (Links) Friday, 13 January 2017
Windsor Historical Society - The museum, library, and historic houses explore 370 years of history in Connecticut's oldest English town
- INTERNET TRICKS Wednesday, 11 September 2019
- Escorts Service in Kolkata Friday, 02 August 2019
- Real Estate Brokers in Maryland Sunday, 21 April 2019
- FRED-MOHAMMED Tuesday, 12 February 2019
- SACRED HEART DENTAL CLINIC Thursday, 24 January 2019
- Housewife Escorts In Delhi Friday, 11 January 2019
- Make Money Online For Extra Income Friday, 11 January 2019
- WELCOME TO KNOWIT ERP Wednesday, 09 January 2019
- MY TECHNOBLOG Friday, 21 December 2018
- L.A. media, "Law, injuries make long-term contracts difficult." Wednesday, 31 October 2018
About AAS The American Antiquarian Society is a national research library of American history and culture through 1876.more
Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs
That spring morning in 1927 could not have been more beautiful, one of the students would later recall. The Bath Consolidated School just outside East Lansing, Mich., was holding final exams, but before the morning bell rang on May 18, 1927, children ran and played outside. Peals of laughter could be heard.
ATLANTA (AP) - More than 70 years ago, a U.S. Army plane dubbed "Hot as Hell" was headed for India on a supply mission. It never arrived, and no one went looking for the doomed aircraft or the eight men on board because military officials had no way of pinpointing where it went down.
BOSTON (AP) - The sword that belonged to the commanding officer of the first all-black regiment raised in the North during the U.S. Civil War has been recovered after being lost to history for more than 150 years. The British-made sword carried into battle by Col.
An upcoming book seeks to find the links between the fable of Frankenstein and a brutal Philadelphia mass murder that occurred nearly 50 years after the release of the famous novel. In "The Face of a Monster: America's Frankenstein," Delaware author Patricia Earnest Suter revisits the gruesome killings of eight people at the hands of Anton Probst in 1866.
Norman Gray, a fresh-faced 19-year-old was shipped off to France in 1914 to fight in World War I. Now his diary resurfaced, documenting the horrors of war.