The Saint John’s Bible
In 1998, Saint John's Abbey and University commissioned renowned calligrapher Donald Jackson to produce a hand-written, hand-illuminated Bible. We invite you to explore this work of art that unites an ancient Benedictine tradition with the technology and vision of today, illuminating the Word of God for a new millennium.
“In the Beginning”
The Saint Johns Bible at a glance
WHO: The Saint John's Bible was commissioned by Saint John’s Abbey and University in Collegeville, Minnesota. It was executed by Donald Jackson, Senior Scribe to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth’s Crown Office, along with a collaborative team of scribes, artists, theologians, and scholars.
WHAT: This is the first illuminated, handwritten Bible of monumental size (24 1/2 X 15 7/8) to be commissioned by a Benedictine Monastery in 500 years. All 73 books of the Old and New Testaments are presented in seven volumes of approximately 1,150 pages using the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) translation.
WHEN: Planning and work began in 1995.The first words were penned on March 8, 2000, and the final word was written on May 9, 2011. Though the pages are complete, the Bible remains unbound at this time.
WHERE: The creation work was done in a scriptorium in Wales while the theological work was done at Saint John’s University The Hill Museum 8c Manuscript Library on the university’s campus is its permanent home.
HOW: The Saint John's Bible was made using traditional materials such as vellum (calfskin), ancient inks, gold and silver leaf and platinum, and was written with quill pens from goose, turkey, and swan feathers.
online: www.saintjohnsbible.org • email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Saint John’s University | PO Box 7333, Collegeville, MN 56321
Contact Tim Ternes for tours, presentations, and exhibition information by calling (320) 363-3351 or emailing email@example.com.
THE HERITAGE EDITION OF THE SAINT JOHN'S BIBLE: Created under the direction of Donald Jackson, the Heritage Edition is the only full scale, fine art edition of The Saint John's Bible. Limited to 299 seven- volume sets, it is printed on American cotton paper, illuminated with gold and silver treatments, and hand stitched and bound in soft Italian calfskin leather. Visit www.saintjohnsbible.org/heritage or contact Jim Triggs for more information by calling (320) 363-3209 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE SAINT JOHN'S BIBLE PRODUCTS: Bring The Saint John's Bible home with you by purchasing the full-color trade editions. Illuminating the Word chronicles the Bible’s creation while The Art of The Saint John's Bible helps readers understand, explore, and reflect on it more deeply. Fine art prints, note cards, a documentary, and Seeing the Word—a visual Bible study program—are also available. Learn more and place your order with Liturgical Press online at www.litpress.org or by calling 1-800-858-5450.
HILL MUSEUM & MANUSCRIPT LIBRARY (HMML): Home of The Saint John's Bible, HMML’s mission is to identify, digitally photograph, catalog, and archive endangered manuscripts belonging to threatened communities around the world. Having formed partnerships with over 540 libraries and archives, HMML has photographically preserved over 140,000 medieval, renaissance, and early-modern manuscripts from Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and India. These resources, available through HMML’s online catalog, OLIVER, and image database, Vivarium, have become essential tools for global manuscript research. Learn more at www.hmml.org.
©Detail from Letter to the Seven Churches, Donald Jackson, 2011 The Saint John's Bible.
Saint John's University, Collegeville. Minnesota. USA
People in this conversation
Passed Time Login
Private Message Notifier
You are not logged in.
A Danish war museum says it found German U-boat U-3523 embedded on the sea floor, quashing years of speculation.
York County Historical Society
The Paperback of the The Face of a Monster: America's Frankenstein by Patricia Earnest Suter at Barnes & Noble. FREE Shipping on $25 or more!
The remains of the USS Indianapolis, which delivered parts of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, and was later sunk by a Japanese submarine, have been found.
Andrew Kamal is an app developer, programmer, and inventor who loves writing about historical technology and old games. He can be found in his free time hugging pugs and debating people about which pizza topics are better.
Two medieval mummies from a mystery Arctic civilization have been discovered at the edge of Siberia. The remains of an adult and baby were found in the Zelenyy Yar necropolis, an archaeological complex first discovered in 1997, and were covered in copper-with the adult having been plated from head to
Search This Site
The family bible is a family's connection to the past and future. It connects an entire family across generations to their history, to their faith and provides an understanding of who their ancestors were. Family bibles often contain locks of hair, photographs, newspaper articles in addition to names, dates of birth, death and marriages.
FREEDOM: "to secure the Blessings of Liberty" explores the stories of Lancastrians who sought, fought for, lived in, and were denied freedom over the course of 300 years. They are stories of hope, joy, struggle, and survival from Penn's Holy Experiment through the 21st century.
April 2017 Story Ideas
Fastnacht Day: February 28 at
York County History Center
Fastnacht Day will be celebrated at the York County History Center’s Historical Society Museum on Tuesday, February 28, 2017, from 9:30 a.m. – noon. The Friends of the History Center will serve fastnachts, coffee, tea and hot chocolate at the Museum, located at 250 E. Market Street, York.
This free event is held each year as the Friends’ “thank you” to the community for their support throughout the year. Fastnacht Day originated with Pennsylvania Germans on Shrove Tuesday, when all fat had to be removed from the home before Lent.
The Friends hold fundraising events all year to benefit the programs and exhibits of the History Center.
York, Pa., really is the center of the universe, especially when you consider its place in historical events. Local historian June Lloyd looks at how things have converged on our hometown, past and present.
- Upcoming LancasterHistory.org Events August 29 - September 21, 2016
- New Exhibition FREEDOM: "to secure the Blessings of Liberty" Opens September 24 & 25
- Upcoming Colloquium explores the frontier of early Pennsylvania
- Celebrate A Lancaster Victorian Christmas!
- A Salute to Pearl Harbor
- December 2016 Story Ideas
- Lancaster Legend Who Immortalized Christmas Music is the Focus of Free Colloquium
- LancasterHistory.org Honors National Black History Month With Program Set
- Free Screening of Harriet Tubman Film Celebrates Black History Month
- The Friends of the Tanger Arboretum Annual Dinner
- April 2017 Story Ideas from LancasterHistory.org
- April Living History: Precocious, Passionate, & Plodding Buchanan
- 100 Years After US Entry Into World War I, Motivations Revisited
- The Historian May 31, 2017
- The Historian July 26, 2017
Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society | Preserving the culture of Mennonite-related faith communities in Lancaster County
Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society has added a new field trip to the 2016 schedule of events. Get a new view of historic sights in Lancaster and Lebanon with the upcoming field trip, "The Trail of Greenywalt's Boys."
Draws A Crowd
- Printed & Manuscript Americana
- Art & Storytelling: Photographs & Photobooks
- Rare and Important Travel Posters
- Art & Storytelling: Photographs & Photobooks Exhibition Opens Thursday, October 20
- Just in from Swann Auction Galleries..a Record Setting Auction
- Swann Auction: Illustration Art Draws A Crowd
- Swann Auction: Autographs
Half-century of history at Dover AFB
Links to External Sources
- Filipino Dentists for the smiles that welcomes you to smile at the time of exit Monday, 25 February 2019
- About Fred Mohammed-Leader in Construction Companies Tuesday, 12 February 2019
- ABOUT SACRED HEART DENTAL CLINIC PHILIPPINES Thursday, 24 January 2019
- WELCOME TO KNOWIT ERP Wednesday, 09 January 2019
- Half Baked Swag at Northern Nights Music Festival Friday, 21 December 2018
- Chairs for Your Modern Lifestyle Monday, 13 August 2018
- Buy Instagram followers and Take your Brand on Top Level Thursday, 08 February 2018
- best ironing board Tuesday, 07 November 2017
- Some History of the Indian National Flag (Links) Friday, 13 January 2017
- From our Friends at Bible Rescue... Sunday, 11 December 2016
Windsor Historical Society - The museum, library, and historic houses explore 370 years of history in Connecticut's oldest English town
- Real Estate Brokers in Maryland Sunday, 21 April 2019
- FRED-MOHAMMED Tuesday, 12 February 2019
- SACRED HEART DENTAL CLINIC Thursday, 24 January 2019
- Housewife Escorts In Delhi Friday, 11 January 2019
- Make Money Online For Extra Income Friday, 11 January 2019
- WELCOME TO KNOWIT ERP Wednesday, 09 January 2019
- MY TECHNOBLOG Friday, 21 December 2018
- L.A. media, "Law, injuries make long-term contracts difficult." Wednesday, 31 October 2018
- Andheri Escorts, Andheri Escorts Service Friday, 12 October 2018
- online shopping in dubai Wednesday, 15 August 2018
About AAS The American Antiquarian Society is a national research library of American history and culture through 1876.more
Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs
That spring morning in 1927 could not have been more beautiful, one of the students would later recall. The Bath Consolidated School just outside East Lansing, Mich., was holding final exams, but before the morning bell rang on May 18, 1927, children ran and played outside. Peals of laughter could be heard.
ATLANTA (AP) - More than 70 years ago, a U.S. Army plane dubbed "Hot as Hell" was headed for India on a supply mission. It never arrived, and no one went looking for the doomed aircraft or the eight men on board because military officials had no way of pinpointing where it went down.
BOSTON (AP) - The sword that belonged to the commanding officer of the first all-black regiment raised in the North during the U.S. Civil War has been recovered after being lost to history for more than 150 years. The British-made sword carried into battle by Col.
An upcoming book seeks to find the links between the fable of Frankenstein and a brutal Philadelphia mass murder that occurred nearly 50 years after the release of the famous novel. In "The Face of a Monster: America's Frankenstein," Delaware author Patricia Earnest Suter revisits the gruesome killings of eight people at the hands of Anton Probst in 1866.
Norman Gray, a fresh-faced 19-year-old was shipped off to France in 1914 to fight in World War I. Now his diary resurfaced, documenting the horrors of war.